Monday, December 1, 2008

Week 16 & Thanksgiving

click on pic for more...


To start the holiday week, Scott and I went to visit Dr. Herrmann. Again, without wasting anytime, he took us back to do another ultrasound to peek on Baby Burchette. He/she had grown quite a bit over the last 3 weeks and when we took the measurement from rump to head, Doc thought that the little one a crunched up. The heartbeat signaled at 164 bpm so we have a girl again this month...

On Tuesday, we took half day and started our long drive to Detroit. It was uneventful drive and we were very anxious to get to my parents' house. Unfortunately, we got in pretty late and they were already in bed. We couldn't even tell them Wednesday morning as both of them left for work early that morning.

I went to pick up my brother at the airport Wednesday afternoon and shared with him that he was going to be an uncle. Needless to say, I think he was a bit shocked, but excited. We went to lunch and then to the mall for some pre-Black Friday browsing. I ran some errands to pick up some fixin's for Thanksgiving dinner and then waited for my parents to get home. Unfortunately, again, I wasn't able to share the news as I had to head back out to the airport to pick up my cousin, Michelle. It took all my effort not to spill the beans, but I wanted to make sure that I told mom and dad before other family members.

By the time I got back to the house, dinner was ready so we sat down to eat and afterward we presented my dad with his birthday gifts. For the last year, he promised us that he would quit smoking when I had a baby, so we got him some Nicorette. We knew that he wouldn't get it right away. While we were in Orlando, Scott found "Grandma" and "Grandpa" mugs that had the markings on the handle. They did exactly what we thought and didn't see the labels when they unwrapped the tissue paper. To make it even more obvious, we bought "I Love Grandma" and "I Love Grandpa" bids and put them at the bottom of the gift bags. Once they saw those, mom screamed to the high heavens. Dad didn't really believe us and asked us two or three times if it was true. They were very excited and proud to have their first grandson/granddaughter.

On Thursday, I spent the entire day cooking the feast and shared the news with my cousin, Michelle, and aunts, Tita Merle and Tita Ann. I called the rest of the aunts, uncles, and cousins to spread the word. I was tired of having to rehash the story so many times. But everyone seemed to be very excited for the little one to join my crazy family!

Black Friday tradition is that my mom and I go shopping and out to lunch. This year wasn't any different except that I didn't get up as early as she wanted. So mom took off at 7AM and came back to pick me up around 10AM. I wanted to go to Kohl's and bought our first supply of onsies for the little one. That was it!!! I was proud of my self-control. After lunch, we went back to the house so that I could get ready for my 10 year high school reunion. I had a bit of anxiety about going, but was able to get myself out the door. At the last minute, Scott bailed on me and wanted to stay home so he spent the evening watching TV on my parents' couch. I went to my best friend, Meghan's new house. She just bought it and was still in the transition stage of unpacking and deciding where everything should go. We waited for our other HS friend to show up so that we didn't walk into the reunion by ourselves. To my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was and had great time catching up with old friends. Some of them I haven't talked to since graduation and some I keep in contact with every once in a while. Talking with some of them was like no time has passed at all.

Saturday morning, my brother, mom, Michelle, Scott and I went out to breakfast before hitting the road. We dropped my bro off at the airport and started our 9 hour drive back to St. Louis. We wanted to have a full day to relax before heading back to work.

Today, Scott and I started to clean out our spare bedroom to begin painting and moving. The weekend projects are piling up and only 5 more months until we will be a family of 3. Time to get started...

No comments:

Post a Comment