Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas

Unfortunately, I didn't pull out my camera during the Christmas celebrations so no photos to share. Sorry!

Scott and I traveled across the Midwest to celebrate the holidays with both of our families. The week started on Saturday, Dec 20th as Scott cleaned and packed up all of our stuff and I ran last-minute errands. As we were getting ready to leave, we were informed that the weather in Iowa was turning worse. According to the Weather Channel, Dubuque had a BLIZZARD advisory! Rather than driving at night in the bad weather, we decided to postpone the drive and enjoy the night at home. This gave Scott and me the opportunity to open our Christmas presents from each other, which worked out perfectly. Scott gave me a portable DVD player that I could take in the car with me the next day. I got Scott a couple Xbox video games that he played all night long.

Following day, we woke up bright and early to make our trek up to Scott's mom's house. The roads were still pretty icy and the winds didn't make it for a comfortable drive. Once we were about an hour outside of the Quad Cities, the highway was closed so we diverted to the two-lane county road for about 40 miles. Thankfully, we made it out to Dubuque safe and sound. The next two days were pretty quiet since the rest of the family was not expected to arrive until Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve was a frenzy of people at the house. I believe someone took count and there were 40 people. Nothing short of entertaining, that's for sure. Around 9 pm, the kids open presents. It was great to see the little ones so excited for their gifts. It wasn't too long after that when the party started to quiet down and it left only the Burchette's at the house. It was finally nice to be able to catch up with the siblings.

Scott and I woke up on Christmas Day to start our drive to Detroit. We actually woke up 2 hours later than what we wanted so we arrived at my parents' house just in time for dinner. It was a huge difference in households from the Burchette's to the Munar's. Not one better than the other, but vastly different. With only me, Scott, my brother, and my parents, the festivities were subdued. Before Christmas dinner, we exchanged presents with each other and then relaxed as it was a looooong day of driving. The next couple days were pretty quiet as we spent time catching up with my cousins and Meghan.

It was a typical Christmas journey to visit both of our families. With all of our driving and the inclement weather, I am very grateful that we arrived back in St. Louis safe and sound.!

No comments:

Post a Comment