Saturday, May 12, 2007

Vegas, Baby, Vegas!

A conference for Supply Chain professionals was taking place in Vegas. Somehow, I convinced my boss that it would be a great opportunity for me to develop my skills and network with others in the profession... He bought it and approved my trip to Las Vegas. But don't think I was free and clear, I was so convincing that he also wanted to attend and there were a dozen other Monsanto folks going as well.

So that was how I was able to get a business trip to Vegas. I flew in Saturday afternoon and met up with my cousin, Jocelyn. She moved from Kauai to Las Vegas some time ago and recently had her first child. Little Eli is the cutest baby I think I have ever seen. He is a chunk!! When I arrived at her house, she had a surprise for me. I knew that her dad would be in from Kauai helping them move into their new house, but I had no idea that her mom and Kaitlin was going to be there, too! It was an awesome surprise! I have not seen them since my senior year Spring Break trip to Hawaii back in 1998. So we hung out at their place for a while and then headed over the The Orleans for dinner. Jocelyn's boyfriend, Eddie, works there as a pit boss in the casino and was able to comp us dinner tickets. (Love the hook up!) With the 2 hour time difference, I was beat by 10PM so I called in early. On Sunday, we went to the outlet mall to walk around for a little bit and then they all dropped me off at Bally's/Paris for the start of my conference.

The rest of the week I spent in seminars discussing negotation tactics, international supply issues, talent management, etc. During the evenings, the Monsanto group would go out to dinner and stay out way past all of our bedtimes. On our last night, we started the evening in a bar in Bally's where you get a free tequila shot with every beer that you purchase. Needless to say, everyone was pretty buzzed up by the time our 8:30 reservations rolled around. After dinner, we went dancing and closed down the lounge. At about 2AM, I attempted to throw in the towel. "One more drink..." What I forgot to mention is that at 8AM the next morning, I had to take exams for my CPM certifcation. My tests went well, but we'll have to see the results. (The last one at 3 in the afternoon was difficult to get through, but I think I made it) But all-in-all, it was a good trip and I am glad to be back home!

Click on the pictures for more of Eli and Kaitlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment