Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Retirement of Joanne Groos


Yesterday, my co-worker and friend, Joanne retired from Monsanto after almost 20 years. The reason for the decision was her cute grandson, Makaio, who will turn 1 in June. Joanne is the epitome of what a grandmother should be. She is constantly showing me the new clothes, toys, or Cardinal paraphernalia that she has purchased for him.

With all her years of service, Joanne has been a friend to many people, especially to me. She has made my transition from Muscatine to St. Louis smooth and when I was the only young, female in the group(with Ben and Nick around, it was like a fraternity house), Joanne befriended me. She invited me to go with her on her Ladies’ Lunch when I didn’t know anyone. Whenever I needed ideas for gifts, suggestions for new restaurants, help on events for entertaining out-of-town guests, Joanne was always a great help!! Soon, she became my “Monsanto Mom.” We would go out to lunch and I would confide in her on my woes: Scott’s extended trips, wedding planning disasters, and work matters. Joanne was a great listener and she always gave unbiased, sound advice and I always appreciated it.

Yesterday was full of festivities. The ladies on the floor took Joanne out to lunch and presented her with a scrapbook that we all put together. Each lady created a page with nice words about what Joanne meant to each of us. Mandy and I, over the weekend, finished the book with additional pages symbolizing inside jokes and memories of Joanne. Needless to say, it brought of tear to Joanne’s eye when she looked it over at the restaurant. She didn’t have much time to be sentimental because someone told the Chevy’s wait staff that we were celebrating her birthday and the clapping, singing, and sombrero were busting out. Later that night, the whole Purchasing group (plus the Groos family and friends) threw her a great retirement party. The video from Friday’s office party was broadcasted and more stories and gifts were given. It was a tearful goodbye when I left for the night, but I will get to see her every couple of weeks when we plan our ladies’ lunches.

It has been weird today not having Joanne sitting across from me. My friend has left and joined the retired community. I will miss her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment