Sunday, December 3, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving... in Hawaii

(Click on the different pictures to see more)
Scott and I went on a much needed vacation over the Thanksgiving Holiday... Back in October (while he was in Brazil), Scott asked me if I wanted to go to Hawaii. Without hesitation, I said "Hell, yeah." That next week we booked our flight and hotel to Honolulu. Since we still had a month apart, all we could talk about was how excited we were to see each other, but more excited to lay on the beach and relax. Before I knew it, Scott was back in St. Louis and we only 5 days until we were jet-setting to Waikiki Beach. We were upset that we were going to miss out on the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and pie, so I fixed us pseudo-Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday evening. I made a small chicken with Stovetop stuffing; garlic mashed potatoes and canned corn. It was yummy, but we did miss the fam!!! We spent the rest of the evening packing and cleaning the house before the coveted trip.

Thanksgiving Thursday, we woke up early and drove to the airport. There were quite a bit of people and one very RUDE ticket agent. I couldn’t believe the way she spoke to one customer ahead of us, but we didn’t let it bust our bubble. Scott surprised me with an upgrade to first class!! We had a layover in Dallas/Fort Worth and when we landed, it was 85 degrees, clear and sunny. VACATION!!! We checked into our hotel and got ready for dinner. Jetlag was hitting us hard so we were back to our hotel soon after dinner.

Friday morning, we were up at 4:30AM (still on St. Louis time), but it worked out to our advantage. We went to dinner and headed out to Pearl Harbor. The wait to get to the USS Arizona Memorial was almost 2 hours. It was amazing when we finally made it out to the memorial. It fascinated me that the oil from the sunken battleship was still seeping out to the water 65 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The wall with the list of all 1177 crew members entombed in the USS Arizona was very moving. Then, we went took a trolley to the USS Missouri which is the battleship where Japan surrendered to end World War II. We walked around the entire ship and realized how large it really was when I started to get hot and crabby. To end our first full day, Scott and I found a little spot on the beach to watch the sunset on a long day.
On Saturday, Scott and I hiked up to the top of Diamond Head Crater. It was a good workout to start the day. We went, then, walked down the strip of Downtown Waikiki. It had all the designer shops that I love so much: Prada, Coach, Burberry, Gucci, etc. I stopped drooling and longing to buy a new purse just in time for us to go back to the hotel to get ready for a sunset dinner cruise. We enjoyed whole Maine lobster, beef tenderloin and a hula dance show after dinner.
We started Sunday morning with a drive out to Hanauma Bay at 6AM. We were out on the beach before sunrise to snorkel with the fishes. Hanauma Bay is a protected cove if with a diverse population of marine life and a large, rich coral reef. The bay floor is actually the crater of an ancient volcano that flooded when the exterior wall collapsed and the ocean rushed in. (***Waterproof camera still has been developed! Click here for more pictures***) After a morning in the ocean, we spent the evening at Paradise Cove Luau. Scott and I enjoyed the cultural festivities and great local cuisine. We had roasted pig, fish, fried chicken, white rice, and cocktails. The mai tai’s and pina coladas were very refreshing and the hula dancing was great.

Monday was not my favorite day… We schedule a deep sea fishing trip. I was very excited to go, but about 20 minutes on the boat, sea-sickness set in and I was miserable for the entire day. I think the highlight for me was when I was fast asleep. I did get enough energy and adrenaline to attempt to reel in a fish. I lasted for maybe 10 minutes when I started to feel sick and weak, AGAIN. Scott had to take over and when we got it close enough to try to pull it in, the darn fish decided to swim straight down. We lost it!!! The rest of the day, I spent in the cabin, sick as a dog... Like I said I was not in prime form. I was finally starting to feel like I could lift my head up and when I did, we were about 15 minutes to shore. It was the best feeling to know that my misery was coming to an end!

Tuesday was our last day so we spent the day sunbathing. It was a sad day to have to leave, but home was waiting for us. We weren't so lucky to get upgraded for the trip back, so we were stuck in Coach. Needless to say, it wasn't as much fun as the flight to Hawaii.

We have now been home for a few days and are very excited for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment